May 14, 2020 - 8:00 am
CANCELLED – Beckman Oral Motor Assessment & Intervention
*This is an OPEN Event*
Audience: This event is open to Speech Language Pathologists & Occupational Therapists (those who provide feeding assessment & intervention)
CEU Hours: This course is approved for 1.6 ASHA and 1.6 AOTA CEUs. (16 Contact Hours)
Time: 8:00am – 5:30pm (both days)
Location: San Antonio – Catholic Life Insurance Building (building conference room)
Address: 1635 NE Interstate 410 Loop, San Antonio, TX 78209
For Therapists Outside of THERAPY 2000/GA: register directly through Beckman’s site – https://www.beckmanoralmotor.com/workshops/
Price (T2K/GA employees):
- Attended Beckman Oral Motor Training in the Past?
- If you have attended this Beckman Oral Motor training in the past, you may attend this one at no cost, provided you agree to serve as a lab assistant during lab times both days. You will receive CEUs as well.
- First time to Attend Beckman Oral Motor Training?
- If this is your first time attending this Beckman Oral Motor training, select the $50 registration fee (Note: the full fee is $450; THERAPY 2000 is covering $400 for you)
Debra Beckman , MS, CCC-SLP
This is a two-day, hands-on intensive workshop. Participants will learn compensatory hands-on techniques for tonic bite, slow oral transit, tongue thrust, and gag. The participants will practice over 50 specific intervention strategies for improving facial muscle function for eating and speech. Additional topics of discussion may include: goal writing, diet texture progression, tube to oral issues, adaptive mealtime utensils, oral hygiene issues, medication administration issues, oral function for individuals with trachs, facilitating improved articulation through oral motor techniques, research issues, videofluroscopy issues for motorically involved individuals, and additional topics of importance as determined by the participants.
Upon completion Participants will be able to:
1) Demonstrate assessment battery for determining orofacial
movement patterns using the Beckman protocol.
2) Demonstrate compensatory handling techniques.
3) Demonstrate oral motor interventions and
4) Recognize how to screen for potential referral candidates.
5) Identify the results of the techniques discussed.
About Our Speaker:
Debra Beckman, MS, CCC-SLP is a Nationally Certified by ASHA, listed in the National Provider Registry (NPI), licensed by the State of Florida and insured. She was awarded her Bachelor of Science (1974) from Arkansas State University in Jonesboro, AR and Master of Science (1979) from the University of Arkansas Medical Sciences Campus in Little Rock, AR.
Ms. Beckman has worked in the field of communicative disorders since 1975, specializing in motor speech disorders. She has worked in a variety of settings, including schools, hospitals, universities, trauma centers, home-bound, foster homes, group homes, Intermediate Care Facilities for the Mentally Retarded (ICF-MRs), nursing homes and large residential facilities. As a self-employed consultant, she has co-authored training materials for the states of Florida, Oklahoma and Wyoming, which are presently used in a number of states. She has served as a court appointed witness and as a resource content expert for seven federal court cases, regarding services for the developmentally disabled. Ms. Beckman has presented at numerous local, state, national and international conferences, and has published articles in professional books, journals, monographs; and in Exceptional Parent magazine. She has been awarded 2 United States patents for therapeutic equipment. Ms. Beckman has been recognized by her peers and her community for outstanding clinical achievement.