June 10, 2022 - 9:00 am
WEBINAR – Every Move Counts (Session 3 of 4)
*This is a CLOSED training for THERAPY 2000 / GAT therapists only
Audience: OT, PT, ST
CEU Hours: 3 Hours approved by TSHA, TOTA, TPTA
Time: 9:00am – 12:15pm
Note: This is Session 3 of 4. Session 4 will be September 30. In order to attend a particular session, you must have attended all sessions prior (for example, you may not attend Sessions 3 and 4, unless you have also completed Sessions 1 and 2).
***The recorded versions of Session 1 is no longer available. If you need access to the recorded version of Session 2, see below for instructions***
Facilitator: Jane Korsten, MA (https://www.everymovecounts.net/)
This 3-hour training is the 3rd session of four (12 total hours), presenting non-traditional assessment and intervention strategies appropriate for the development of communication and identification of appropriate Assistive Technology for individuals having significant sensory/motor differences and complex communication needs and abilities. Information is relevant to the needs of those individuals who are currently unable to communicate their wants and needs spontaneously in their environment, regardless of age or severity of physical and/or perceived cognitive differences. Techniques incorporate current research in the areas of communication, education, sensory integration and vision.
This training series offers a unique, systematic approach for working with children with significant/multiple needs, with particular emphasis on utilization of the child’s sensorimotor interests and preferences to enhance communication, motivation, participation and learning.
Here is a quick overview of what is covered in each session:
- Session 1 – background, research, sensory assessment – DONE
- Session 2 – symbol and message considerations, Clicks and Chats assessment, summarizing assessments, selecting goals – DONE (recorded version will be available for 2 weeks prior to Session 3/June 10)
- Session 3 – Counts, Clicks and Chats Implementation
- Session 4 – Evaluating the effectiveness of tools and strategies
- Distinguish language from communication and understand the prerequisite skills necessary for each.
- Recognize and assess abilities rather than disabilities through a process oriented assessment approach.
- Effectively integrate communication training into daily activities by providing appropriate choice-making opportunities.
- Progress through a hierarchy of alternate and augmentative communication systems in order to identify and provide the system that best meets an individual’s needs and abilities.
***From Kris, Every Move Counts: Thank you for your interest in emc3 and those for whom it was developed. The recording of the 3-25-22 Session 2 presentation is available for viewing starting today, May 26th until 5 PM on Thursday, June 9th.
Session 1 is no longer available to be viewed. Both Session 1 & Session 2 must be viewed before Session 3 as the information in each session builds on the previous session. If you already requested access to view a recording, your login information will allow you to view the Session 2 recording. If you have not needed to access a recording yet & need to now please go to this link https://learn.everymovecounts.net/courses/therapy-2000 & click on the ” Interested in this course? Email us your name & the course listed above the firstname.lastname@example.org” link that is right below the course name & provide me with the appropriate information. Again, please note that after 5PM Central time on June 9th there will be no more access to the presentation recording.